The Neighborhood of Our Office
Here are some places nearby . . .
Our office may be the easiest place to get to from just about anywhere. Four subway lines have express stops within one block of the office. The LIRR, NJ Transit, Amtrak, and PATH trains are also within a block.
Someone who tested 22 apps said that the best for seeing if the subway is on time is ‘My Transit NYC.’ Check it out. Let us know if you find a better one.
Check into CitiBike. https://www.citibikenyc.com/ It is $149 a year for a full year of as many 45 minute trips as you want. An app tells you where the bikes are. It might pay for itself in savings on taxis and subways.
- Jack’s 99 Cent Shop is the universe’s gift to the frugal. It is on 32 Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues (closer to 6th). They even have some food items (although we can’t vouch for the sushi).
- Kmart is on 34th, just west of 7th Avenue.
- A couple of cheap shoe stores on 34 Street, west of 7th Avenue
- H&M a block north of us on 7th Avenue and around the corner at 34th Street and 6th Ave
- B&H Photo is the place to go for computers, camera, and video needs. Great selection, service, and prices. It is at 9th Avenue and 33 Street. However, you can sometimes get better prices online if you search.
Food and Drink
- “K-Town” is the area of Korean restaurants along 32 Street, east of 6th Ave
- Salt and Pepper, Pakistani food for the budget-conscious on 33 Street between 6th and 7th Avenues, right across the street. Lots of food for the money. (But the pizza and Spanish selections do not look as good).
- Many interns like R Café on 33 Street between 6th and 7th Avenues Sports bars on 33 Street between 6th and 7th Avenues
- There are several Euro-style sandwich/soup/salad places a few blocks south of us on 7th Ave.
- Pizza: on 33 Street by the entry to the subway. Good crust.
- Bravo Pizza is kosher and delicious. Broadway a few blocks north of here.
- Supreme (is that the right name) on 8 Ave and 31 Street.
- The High Line, just a few blocks west of here is a must-see
- Fashion Institute of Technology on 7th Ave at about 29 Street
- Bryant Park is lovely. 6th Avenue at 40th Street, right behind the NY Public Library. Free movies in the summer.
- NY Public Library is wonderful. Fifth Avenue at 42 Street, right in front of Bryant Park.
Have something else to suggest? Let us know, and we will add it.