Change the World as a Public Engagement Intern
Focus on Your Favorite Cause
"an Amazon.com of the nonprofit world.”
We are recruiting high-performing students to join us as Public Engagement Interns
Feed a child
Preserve the wilderness
Stop sexual abuse
How You Benefit
- Use your skills, talent, and creativity to:
- make the world a better place (this may be the single greatest opportunity for you to make a difference in just 3 to 4 hours a week; we also have other roles for those with more time)
- take on a leadership role, learn, and develop your skills
- make friends and build your network at your school and nationwide
- enhance your resume with a record of achievement and community service.
Unpaid / Possible Credit
- We offer a great experience, but we are a nonprofit, and this is an unpaid position.
- This position is eligible for credit and for community service hours at many schools.
About Changing The Present
We help nonprofits and schools capture some of the $450 billion Americans spend each year on birthday, wedding, and holiday presents.
We do that by making the experience of a donation, which you give in a friend's name, feel like a rewarding present and an appealing alternative to buying yet more "stuff." We provide:
- tangible charitable gifts (preserve an acre of the rain forest, fund an hour of cancer research, etc.)
- personalized printed greeting cards
- wish lists and registries
- gift cards, etc.
This slideshow shows how it works.
Imagine the impact we can make together as more and more people adopt this more meaningful type of giving!
Provide books for children
Support Mental Health
Provide safe drinking water
Sponsor cancer research
This is Prestigious and Competitive
We seek undergrad and graduate students who:
- have an outstanding academic record and a proven history of leadership
- are active and involved in activities on campus and/or the surrounding community.
- commit to at least 3 to 4 hours per week during the summer or the academic year. (If you can spend at least eight hours per week, please see our opportunities for internships, which can be done remotely/online).
What You Will Do
Promote awareness of and participation in Changing The Present among students, faculty, and student organizations, while also promoting the concept of donations as a meaningful alternative to traditional presents. You will:
- use social media, existing communications channels (the school newspaper, newsletters, etc.), flyers, and more to promote our program
- encourage student government, clubs, teams, residence halls, Greek life, and other organizations to create charitable fundraising pages on the site, which helps them raise more money and earn recognition for all of their philanthropy
- encourage students to create profile pages and charitable wish lists or registries
- start a Changing The Present club at your school (founding an organization looks great on a resume)
- invite local nonprofits and schools to register, so they can attract new funding.
We Provide the Tools You Need to Succeed
We will provide detailed instructions, message templates, downloadable flyers, digital graphics, and other marketing assets for your use. We also welcome your great ideas!
A Community of Outreach Interns at Your College and Nationwide
We will have multiple Community Outreach Interns at each college, and we will provide an online community for you to connect with one another, as well as with those at other schools. That will let you collaborate, share tips, and celebrate your successes.
Other Opportunities with Changing The Present
We have a wide range of other internship and volunteer roles, including:
Here are a few of the wonderful people on our team. See what they and others say about working with us.:
Smart people like you who want to make a difference know other smart people who want to make a difference. They also know where to find the ones they do not know. Please share this with your friends at your college and around the country, as well as sharing more broadly through whatever channels you can.
This is prestigious and competitive. If you are a high-achieving student and would like to join us, there are two steps to applying:
1. create your profile page, as is introduced here
2. then, complete the short application form below
Thank you very much!